Waste Reduction Initiatives Program Funding Awarded
Sechelt, BC—November 14, 2023—The Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) has awarded a total of $4,400 to fund six waste reduction projects through the SCRD’s Waste Reduction Initiatives Program (WRIP).
The SCRD launched WRIP in the fall of 2015. The program is funded annually through taxation in the amount of $7,500.
The goal of the program is to provide funding to community groups, non-profit societies, charitable organizations and school groups to implement projects that contribute to waste reduction or diversion from the landfill. The WRIP is open to eligible organizations within the SCRD, including District of Sechelt, shíshálh Nation Government District and Town of Gibsons.
The following projects are selected to receive funding this year:
- Roberts Creek Community Association: $1,375 to improve recycling at the community hall through improving diversion of bottles, cans and cigarette receptacles.
- Sunshine Coast Resources Centre: $500 to support their program to re-purpose and distribute donated electronics in the community instead of sending them for electronic waste recycling.
- Gibsons Public Art Gallery: $1,300 to implement reusable dishware and improve food waste diversion in order to reduce single use item use.
- Davis Bay Elementary Parent Advisory Committee: $575 to eliminate the need for single use items by purchasing reusable cutlery and bowls for use during school hot lunches, gatherings and celebrations.
- Davis Bay – Wilson Creek – Selma Park Community Association: $650 to reduce single use items used at hall events by improving access to reusable dishware.
Project recipients have until June 30, 2024 to complete their projects and provide a final report.
Since 2015, the SCRD has provided over $27,000 to waste reduction projects.
For information about the program, visit https://letstalk.scrd.ca/wrip.