Curbside Garbage Collection
Garbage collection is collected every-other week.
Egmont / Pender Harbour residents can self-haul garbage to the Pender Harbour Transfer Station.
Here are some important things to know about your curbside garbage collection:
- You provide your own 77 litre can.
- The maximum weight that can be collected is 20 kilograms (44 lbs).
- Garbage must be placed at the end of your driveway by 8:00 a.m. on the morning of your collection.
- Any device such as a rope or bungee chord that is securing your lid must be removed.
- Residential garbage that is non-toxic
- Garbage generated by residents from normal household use
- Garbage that fits in your garbage can
- Yard and garden waste
- Food waste
- Land clearing waste
- Construction/demolition waste such as wood, gypsum
- Free liquids of any kind
- Commercial, industrial, institutional waste
- Hazardous, explosive, chemical waste
- Hot or burning material
- Waste oil, petroleum by-products
- Lead acid batteries
Extra garbage cans are permitted if tagged with a garbage sticker. Extra garbage stickers cost $2.50 each.
Stickers are available from:
- Gibsons Home Hardware, 921 Gibsons Way
- SCRD Administration Office, 1975 Field Road, Sechelt
Extra garbage, or materials not accepted with your garbage collection service can be brought to the Sechelt Landfill.
Reduction of Annual Garbage Collection Fee
Owners of an eligible property who meet the following criteria, can apply for a reduction of their annual SCRD garbage collection fee:
- Your total tax from column A of your most recent rural property tax notice is less than $1,145.00, and;
- You are eligible for the Additional Home Owner Grant.
Please contact email@example.com to apply for a reduction if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Property owners who qualify will have their garbage collection fee reduced by an amount equal to the portion of the Additional Home Owner Grant that the owner was unable to use to reduce the amount of property taxes payable.
Please note: you have to apply each year and applications for a fee reduction have to be made between April 30 and June 15. Applications after the Utility Bill due date of June 15 will not be eligible. For information about the Addition Home Owner Grant and the Province’s deadlines, please contact the Province.