Freedom of Information Requests
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA) gives the public a right to request access to records held by public bodies. FOIPPA also prohibits the unauthorized collection, use or disclosure of personal information by public bodies. Some information falls under ‘exceptions’ to release; these exceptions are described in FOIPPA.
Much of the Sunshine Coast Regional District’s (SCRD) information is available through routine channels, without having to submit a formal request under FOIPPA, such as via our website or by contacting the department you think is responsible for the subject matter directly.
Some responsibilities fall under the mandates of federal or provincial governments or other agencies.
If you are uncertain about how to obtain the information you need, or if you just have a question, it is a good idea to go through routine channels by contacting the relevant SCRD department.
If the information you are seeking is not available through routine channels, you may make a FOIPPA request for records containing the information.
- The request must be for a copy of a record, rather than an answer to a question.
- To submit a formal request under FOIPPA your request must be in writing.
- Include sufficient detail to assist staff in locating and retrieving the records.
- Be as specific as possible to ensure a timely response and to minimize processing fees.
- You may choose to use our application form, although it is not required to make a formal request.
- Submit your request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or deliver your request to:
Information and Privacy Coordinator
Sunshine Coast Regional District
1975 Field Road
Sechelt BC V7Z 0A8
FOIPPA allows public bodies to take up to 30 business days to respond and allows for time extensions and/or fees to be charged depending on the size and complexity of the request.
The personal information you submit to make a request is collected under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for the purpose of responding to your request.
If you have any questions about the collection, use or disclosure of this information, please call 604-885-6800 and ask for the Information and Privacy Coordinator.