There are many instances in which people wish to come before the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) Board as a delegation to address issues they feel are of importance to the community. As a delegation you are provided time during a public meeting to provide information about your chosen topic to the SCRD Board.
Many issues can be resolved without appearing before the Board. Therefore, it is recommended that community members first discuss their concerns with SCRD staff prior to appearing before the Board. Staff can provide valuable background information on the issue in question, and/or recommend appropriate next steps that can remove the need to go to the Board, or help set the stage for a meaningful and constructive interaction with the Board.
Staff can also ensure that the issue is one that is within the jurisdiction of the SCRD.
Community members who wish to appear before the Board as a delegation are required to notify the Corporate Officer two weeks prior to the Board or Committee meeting tey wish to appear during. The easiest way to submit a request is via our online request form Members of the community can also submit a request in writing via email or post which should be addressed to:
Sherry Reid, Corporate Officer
Sunshine Coast Regional District
1975 Field Road
Sechelt, BC V0N 3A1
The Corporate Officer will review the request, and if approved, will direct the delegation to the appropriate meeting. Supporting documentation for publication in the agenda should be forwarded no later than the Monday of the week prior (10 days) to the Board or Committee meeting at which you will be appearing.
Delegations will be contacted to confirm the scheduled date and time of the delegation.
- The Chair will invite delegations to the speakers table to speak on their issues.
- Comments at Board meetings should be directed to the Chair or member of the Board presiding at the meeting.
- Introduce yourself – please clearly state your name and address before making your comments.
- Be sure to speak into the microphone so your input can be clearly heard. Note that Board meetings are also recorded and streamed live on YouTube.
- The Chair and Directors may ask questions of the delegation, as well as Regional District staff.
- Delegations are limited to 10 minutes (includes questions and answers).
- Be aware that comments on some issues may be restricted by legal requirements or policy.
- Upon closure of the discussion, the Board may make a decision or refer the item to the appropriate department for further input or advice.
Some guidelines exist to ensure that the public, the SCRD Board and delegations get the most out of each meeting. These include:
- Delegations cannot appear for the sole purpose of promoting an individual business.
- Delegations who have previously appeared before the Board on subject matter must provide new information should they return as a delegation in a future meeting.
- Organizations wishing to address the Board are limited to a maximum of ten minutes regardless of the number of representatives of the group wishing to speak.
- Only two delegations are allowed per meeting.