Curbside Garbage Collection
Starting October 6, 2020 the SCRD garbage collection service will be expanded to include weekly food waste collection, "Green Bin." For information on the food waste collection service please click here.
Coinciding with curbside food waste collection we will transition garbage collection from weekly to every other week. The week of October 6th will include the collection of both garbage and food waste, with only food waste collection the following week.
SCRD Collects App - Never miss a collection with personalized reminders by text, email or phone, view your collection schedule and use the "what goes where" for recycling. Click here for links to the Google or Apple Apps.
|SCRD Garbage Collection: A friendly reminder to ensure all garbage is placed in a sealed bag, particularly used tissues and personal hygiene products. This is to protect the health and safety of the drivers. Thank you.|
Click on the links below for more details.
- What is the Service?
- Wildlife Aware
- Extra Garbage Stickers
- Missed Collection, Holidays and Extreme Weather
- What's In and What's Out
- Garbage Drop-Off
- Reduction of Annual Garbage Fee
- Weekly collection of Accepted Garbage (every other week starts October 6, 2020)
- Resident provided 77 litre can
- Maximum weight 20kg (44lbs)
Your garbage can should be placed at the end of your driveway on the day of your collection by 8:00am and brought inside for storage as soon as possible.
Remove any device securing the lid (e.g. bungee cord) once the garbage can is placed out for collection.
Garbage is one of the main reasons bears and other wild animals come to our neighbourhoods, increasing the likelihood of human-wildlife conflict.
There are several simple steps you can take to ensure you're properly handling your garbage:
- Keep your garbage in the house or in a secured enclosed area.
- Only put out your garbage can by 8am on your collection day (never put it out overnight).
- Keep your garbage cans clean (washing your can helps reduce odours).
For more information, please visit WildSafeBC.
Extra garbage cans are permitted if tagged with a garbage sticker. Extra garbage stickers cost $2.50 each.
Stickers are available from:
- Gibsons Home Hardware, 921 Gibsons Way
- Mail cheques to Sunshine Coast Regional District, 1975 Field Road, Sechelt
- As of June 23, 2020: Mon-Fri 9:00am to 12:00pm at SCRD Administration Office, 1975 Field Road, Sechelt
STATUTORY HOLIDAYS AND EXTREME WEATHER
Garbage is collected on all statutory holidays except Christmas Day, December 25.
Christmas - If your garbage collection day falls on Christmas Day, then 2 garbage cans will be collected on your next designated collection day (the following week). Once bi-weekly (every other week) collection begins, the collection will be rescheduled to another day that week.
Extreme Weather - If your garbage is not collected on your designated day due to extreme weather events, missed collections will be rescheduled within the same week whenever possible. continues. Check for updates on our garbage collection contractor's website: Waste Management of Canada Corp.
- municipal (residential) solid waste (garbage) of a non-toxic nature;
- garbage generated by residential premises from normal household use, and;
- garbage capable of being contained in a garbage can.
- yard and garden waste
- food waste
- land clearing waste
- construction/demolition waste such as wood, gypsum
- free liquids of any kind
- commercial, industrial, institutional waste
- hazardous, explosive, chemical waste
- hot or burning material
- waste oil, petroleum by-products
- lead acid batteries
Household recycling can be taken to one of three SCRD Recycling Depots. Click here for depot locations and accepted materials.
Learn how you can reduce your waste by visiting www.scrd.ca/reduce-tips.
Owners of an eligible property who meet the following criteria, can apply for a reduction of their Annual SCRD garbage collection fee:
Your total tax from column A of your most recent rural property tax notice is less than $1,145.00, and;
- You are eligible for the Additional Home Owner Grant.
Please contact our office to apply for a reduction if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Property owners who qualify will have their garbage collection fee reduced by an amount equal to the portion of the Additional Home Owner Grant that the owner was unable to use to reduce the amount of property taxes payable.