Curbside Food Waste Collection
The Green Bin program is collecting food waste weekly from residents in Halfmoon Bay, Roberts Creek, Elphinstone and Howe Sound.
Garbage is collected every-other-week. More information about garbage collection can be found here.
If you would like to view your schedule plese visit our schedule page.
Green Bins have been delivered to homes in the SCRD rural areas. Please review the Collection Guide for details about the program. If you are looking to purchase paper bags, local retailers are listed in our frequently asked questions.
For residents of multi-family service, your collection guide can be viewed here.
Food waste accounts for approximately 35% of household garbage found in the Sechelt Landfill. Diverting food from the landfill will help extend the life of the landfill which at our current rate of disposal, is scheduled to close in 2026.
What is the service?
- Weekly collection of food waste and food soiled paper
- 45-litre SCRD-provided Green Bin
- Maximum weight 20kg (44lbs)
- For service schedule go to www.scrd.ca/curbside-schedule
All uneaten food and plate scrapings, including:
- Bread & pastries
- Dairy - dairy products, cheese, eggs/shells
- Fish - raw, cooked, bones, soft shells from lobster, crab or shrimp
- Fruit & vegetables - raw, cooked, whole, peelings
- Meat & bones - raw, cooked or bones
- Tea & coffee grounds - paper tea bags, tea leaves, coffee grounds & filters
- Food soiled paper - paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins, food soiled cardboard, food soiled newspaper
- Cut flowers, flower bunches and house plant cuttings
The materials collected from the Green Bin program will be processed locally at Salish Soils into compost, a benefical resource.
Please do not place any of these materials in your Green Bin:
- Liquids of any kind
- Butcher, parchment or waxed paper
- Dryer lint, vacuum contents
- Elastics, staples, twist ties
- Hair - pet or human
- Hard shells from clams or oysters
- Hard pits such as from avocados
- Plastics of any kind, including compostable or biodegradable as these are not compatible with our local composting facility
- Pet waste, pet hair or pet litter
- Stickers on produce
- Yard or garden green waste
More information about keeping the community and wildlife safe can be found at www.wildsafebc.ca/learn/live.
- Store your bin indoors
- Keep your bin clean
- Lock your bin
- Bring your bin inside after collection
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about food waste collection.
SCRD Collects App
Never miss a collection with personalized reminders by text, email or phone, view your collection schedule and use the "what goes where" for recycling.
Find the link to the Google or Apple App here: www.scrd.ca/curbside-schedule