Curbside Food Waste Collection
Food waste accounts for approximately 35% of household garbage found in the Sechelt Landfill. Diverting food from the landfill will help extend the life of the landfill which at our current rate of disposal, is scheduled to close in 2026.
What is the service?
- Weekly collection of food waste and food soiled paper
- 45-litre SCRD-provided Green Bin
- Maximum weight 20kg (44lbs)
- For service schedule go to www.scrd.ca/curbside-schedule
For residents of multi-family service, your collection guide can be viewed here.
Garbage is collected every-other-week. More information about garbage collection can be found here.
All uneaten food and plate scrapings, including:
- Bread & pastries
- Dairy - dairy products, cheese, eggs/shells
- Fish - raw, cooked, bones, soft shells from lobster, crab or shrimp
- Fruit & vegetables - raw, cooked, whole, peelings
- Meat & bones - raw, cooked or bones
- Tea & coffee grounds - paper tea bags, tea leaves, coffee grounds & filters
- Food soiled paper - paper towels, paper plates, paper napkins, food soiled cardboard, food soiled newspaper (e.g. food wrapped in newspaper)
- Cut flowers, flower bunches and house plant cuttings
The materials collected from the Green Bin program will be processed locally at Salish Soils into compost, a benefical resource.
Please do not place any of these materials in your Green Bin:
- Liquids of any kind
- Butcher, parchment or waxed paper
- Dryer lint, vacuum contents
- Elastics, staples, twist ties
- Hair - pet or human
- Hard shells from clams or oysters
- Plastics of any kind, including compostable or biodegradable as these are not compatible with our local composting facility
- Pet waste, pet hair or pet litter
- Recyclables such as newspaper, paper, metal/plastic containers; please take these to the recyling depot
- Stickers on produce
- Yard or garden green waste
More information about keeping the community and wildlife safe can be found at www.wildsafebc.ca/learn/live.
- Store your bin indoors
- Keep your bin clean
- Lock your bin
- Bring your bin inside after collection
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about food waste collection.
Missed Green Bin collection
Call the SCRD's garbage collection contractor, Waste Management of Canada Corp. at 1-800-774-9748 and follow the prompts for residential collection. State that you live in the Sunshine Coast Regional District and provide your street address.
Never miss a collection with personalized reminders by text, email or phone, view your collection schedule and use the "what goes where" for recycling.
Check your phone's app store or find the link to the Google or Apple App here: www.scrd.ca/curbside-schedule