Sitemap Close
My SCRD Online

Reduce Food Waste

Did you know?

It’s easy to think that food waste is someone else’s problem, but 47% of food waste in Canada comes from our homes. This means households are wasting approximately 140 kg or $1,100 worth of food each year. The other 53% of food waste occurs along the food value chain, where food is produced, processed, transported or sold.

63% of the food households throw away is avoidable (see image for most common by weight).

Wasted food also means wasted resources (water, land fuel). The greatest way to lessen our impact on the environment is to reduce how much food we waste.

We can all play a part in reducing food waste at home. Below are tips and resources for how to do that.

Learn to love food hate Waste

  • Plan your meals and prep what you can in bulk to save time.
  • Serve smaller portions, you can always go for seconds and you’ll have less plate scrapings.
  • Check the tips for kids in resources below for more ideas.
  • Learn more about ‘best before dates’ here.
  • Before you go to the store shop in your pantry or fridge first, you might already have what you need.
  • Make a list to take to the store so you buy only what you need.
  • Post a list of perishable food items on your fridge. Use them up before buying more food.
  • Use ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ recipes to use up what’s left in your fridge. Give wilted vegetables new life in quiches, soups and stir fries.
  • Use the ‘first in, first out’ principle. After you buy new groceries, move older food items to the front of the fridge so you can use them up first. (Label leftover containers with “eat me first” or dates to help your family).

  • Organize your fridge to make food last longer. This fridge food organizing guide can help you keep your food fresh for longer and help use your crisper drawers to their full potential.
  • Other tips on keeping it fresh can be found here.
  • Freeze food – ex. those berries you won’t get to use could be frozen then added to a smoothie.
  • Learn tips for how best to freeze different types of food.

Keep your community in mind and donate or share food.

Resources

Canadian National Food Waste Reduction Strategy
Love Food Hate Waste Campaign
Tips for Parents – Waste Less with Kids
Fridge Guide
Freezer Tips
Best Before Dates and Shelf Life Guide
Leftover Recipe Ideas
Just Eat It Film