Watermain construction projects
Each year, the SCRD plans, designs and constructs new watermains in the Regional Water System. These watermain construction projects are to replace the old and undersized watermains and to loop one or more dead ends. The goal of the watermain construction projects are to improve fire flows, water quality and the overall system reliability.
What to Expect
The nature of watermain construction requires occasional traffic delays and interruption of water service. Traffic control plans will be in place to minimize disruption traffic delay and notices are handed out to all affected residents prior to all planned water shut-downs.
Mason Road / Yule Road / Meier Road – West Sechelt
Replace existing 150 mm asbestos cement watermains on Meier Road, Yule Road, and Mason Road between Yule and Highway 101 with new 200 mm ductile iron watermains. This project will require an open trench crossing of Highway 101, which will be coordinated with MOTI. This project is scheduled for spring 2018.
Chapman Creek Bridge – Davis Bay
Replace existing 200 mm steel watermain crossing Chapman Creek below the Chapman Creek Bridge. Due to the complex nature of this project, design and construction will be contracted out to third-parties.
Design is expected to be complete by summer 2018, with construction to follow in fall 2018
Oak Lane / Esplanade Road - Eastbourne
Replace surface-run 25 mm PVC waterline with buried 50 mm HDPE waterline on Oak Ave and Esplanade Road between Park Avenue and Oak Avenue. This project is scheduled for fall 2018.
The following areas have been identified for future projects, and will be addressed in coming year. Projects identified as most critical will be prioritized.
- Henry Road / Reed Road – replace watermain on Henry between Russel and Reed, and on Reed between Henry and Payne.
- Field Road – twin existing watermain between Gun Club Road and Highway 101 to improve fire protection.
- Ebbtide – loop existing watermain to Trail Avenue to eliminate dead end.
- Truman Road – replace short section of watermain between Susan Way and Crab Road.
- Wakefield Road – twin watermain between Norwest Bay Road and Gowland Road.
- Elphinstone Avenue – replace watermain between Fisher Road and Church Road.
- Mahan Road – new watermain on Mahan Road dedication between Fairview and Chaster to loop two dead-ends.
- Skookumchuk Road – replace watermain on Skookumchuk Road in Sandy Hook.