Rainwater Harvesting rebate program
Apply before you buy! New applications are being accepted.
about the program
The SCRD is offering two levels of rebate for the installation of new rainwater storage.
Rainwater harvesting systems allow residents to capture and utilize rainwater for outdoor water uses, instead of treated tap water.
Rebates offered in 2021:
Up to $500 for installing a minimum of 4,500 litres of new rainwater storage.
Up to $1000 for installing a minimum of 9,000 litres of new rainwater storage.
A maximum of $1000 in rebates is available per property over the lifetime of the program.
- Applicants must be residential customers with an SCRD water utilities account.
- The Rainwater Harvesting System must be installed on the property listed on the utilties account.
- Only property owners are eligible for the rebate.
- Only cisterns, or storage vessels, are eligible for a rebate. Additional materials and installation fees, such as pumps and piping, are not eligible for the rebate.
- Roof catchment area must be a minimum of 20 square meters.
- If there is a functioning Rainwater Harvesting System on the property that has not received a rebate, the property is eligible for a rebate for an additional storage volume.
- Properties that have received a $500 rebate in past programs are eligible for up $500 for the installation of additional rainwater storage.
- Rebates are available on a first come, first serve basis. Once funds are fully allocated, the program will be finished for the year.
How to apply
Applications for 2021 will be accepted as of January 4, 2021.
- Complete a Pre-approval Application form, including a description of the system that is going to be installed.
- Submit with pre-approval form "before" photos of the site showing catchment area and intended storage vessel location. Photos of the catchment area and location where cistern will be installed should have an indication of scale, such as a person or a meter stick, and a reference point so that one can see the "before" and "after" photos are the same property.
- Pre-Approval Application Forms must be submitted prior to purchases.
Step 3: SCRD Application Review
The SCRD will review your application to determine eligibility and the availability of funds. Should the application be approved, you will receive an approval letter or e-mail. Approval time is dependent on the volume of applications, usually 1-3 business days.
Step 4: Purchase and Install Rainwater Harvesting System
Once applicants have received written approval from the SCRD, they will have a $500 or a $1000 rebate set aside. Installations must be completed and claim form submitted within 90 days of approval letter from the SCRD. Property owners or hired contractors may perform the installation.
Claim form and supporting material must be submitted within 90 days of approval letter from the SCRD. Final document submission includes:
- Itemized sales receipt(s) and/or invoice(s) marked PAID and dated.
- Photo(s) of the installed system, clearly showing the roof catchment area and the installed storage with appropriate equipment.
- Completed Claim Form.
All documentation (forms, photos, and receipts) can be sent to the SCRD either:
- electronically to email@example.com with “Rainwater Harvesting Program” in the title
- or by mail/in person to
Att: Rainwater Harvesting Program
1975 Field Road
Sechelt, BC V7Z 0A8
SCRD will provide confirmation of rebate within 5 business days. Please allow 4 weeks for rebate cheque processing and mail out.
- 5 Steps to get your rainwater system ready for Spring
- Maintenance Tips for your Rainwater Harvesting System
- Vancouver Coastal Health guidance on Rainwater Harvesting
- BC Ministry of Farming, Natural Resources and Industry's Good Agriculture Practices, Water Quality Standards
- Regional District of Nanaimo's Rainwater Harvesting Best Practices Guidebook