Curbside Garbage Collection
The SCRD offers garbage collection to those properties within our garbage collection area.
Click on the links below for more details.
- Collection Guidelines and Bear Aware
- Extra Garbage Stickers
- Collection Schedule
- Missed Collection, Holidays and Extreme Weather
- Accepted Materials and Drop-Off Options
- Reduction of Annual Garbage Fee
Maximum of one container per week.
Maximum size and weight of can:
- 77 litre can
- 20kg (44lbs)
Your garbage container should be placed at the end of your driveway on the day of your collection by 8:00am.
Remove any device securing the lid (e.g. bungee cord) once the garbage container is placed out for collection.
Garbage is one of the main reasons bears and other wild animals come to our neighbourhoods, increasing the likelihood of human-wildlife conflict.
There are several simple steps you can take to ensure you're properly handling your garbage:
- Keep your garbage in the house or in an enclosed garage.
- Only put out your garbage can by 8am on your collection day (never put it out overnight).
- Keep your garbage cans clean (rinsing your cans and containers helps reduce odours).
For more information, please visit WildSafeBC.
Extra garbage bags or containers are permitted if tagged with a garbage sticker. Extra garbage stickers cost $2.50 each.
Stickers are available from:
• Sunshine Coast Regional District at 1975 Field Road
• Gibsons Home Hardware at 921 Gibsons Way
* Pender Harbour & Egmont residents can self-haul residential garbage to the Pender Harbour Transfer Station or pay for a private service provider. Click here for options.
all of West Howe Sound (Electoral Area F) including: Grantham’s Landing, Soames Point, Hopkins Landing, Langdale, North Road, Chamberlin Road, Reed Road, etc.
all of Elphinstone (Electoral Area E) on the mountain side of Sunshine Coast Highway from North Road to Seaview Cemetery including: Cemetery Road, Reed Road, Gilmour Road, Henry Road, Burton Drive, etc.
- all of Roberts Creek (Electoral Area D) on the mountain side of Sunshine Coast Highway from Seaview Cemetery to Camp Olave including: West Reed Road, Leek Road, Conrad Road, Orange Road, Crowe Road, Lockyer Road, Pell Road, etc.
- all of Halfmoon Bay (Electoral Area B) from the District of Sechelt boundary to Wood Bay
all of Elphinstone (Electoral Area E) on the ocean side of Sunshine Coast Highway from the Town of Gibsons boundary to Seaview Cemetery including: Gower Point, Bonniebrook, Chaster Road, Pratt Road, Veteran’s Road, King Road, Poplars Mobile Home Park, Woodcreek Park, Pine Road, etc.
- all of Roberts Creek (Electoral Area D) on the ocean side of Sunshine Coast Highway from Seaview Cemetery to Henderson Road including: Leek Road, Joe Road, Lower Road, Cheryl Ann Park, Roberts Creek Road, Beach Ave, Marlene Road, Flume Road, Park Avenue, Henderson Road, etc.
Call the SCRD's garbage collection contractor, Waste Management of Canada Corp. at 604-885-4246.
If you are still not satisfied, contact the SCRD at 604-885-6806.
STATUTORY HOLIDAYS AND EXTREME WEATHER
Garbage is collected on all statutory holidays except Christmas Day, December 25.
Christmas - If your garbage collection day falls on Christmas Day, then 2 garbage cans will be collected on your next designated collection day (the following week).
Extreme Weather - If your garbage is not collected on your designated day due to extreme weather events, 2 garbage cans will be collected on your next designated collection day (the following week), unless the weather continues. Check for updates on our garbage collection contractor's website: Waste Management of Canada Corp.
• municipal solid waste (garbage) of a non-toxic nature;
• garbage generated by residential premises from normal household use, and;
• garbage capable of being contained in a garbage can.
• garden waste, brush
• land clearing waste
• construction/demolition waste such as wood, gypsum
• free liquids of any kind
• commercial, industrial, institutional waste
• hazardous, explosive, chemical waste
• hot or burning material
• waste oil, petroleum by-products
• lead acid batteries
Owners of an eligible property who meet the following criteria, can apply for a reduction of their Annual SCRD garbage collection fee:
Your total tax from column A of your most recent rural property tax notice is less than $945.00, and;
- You are eligible for the Additional Home Owner Grant.
Please contact our office to apply for a reduction if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Property owners who qualify will have their garbage collection fee reduced by an amount equal to the portion of the Additional Home Owner Grant that the owner was unable to use to reduce the amount of property taxes payable.