Recreation Services restart
This page provides information you need to know about SCRD Recreation Services during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please check often because this page is frequently updated.
Provincial Health Orders
SCRD continues to follow Provincial health orders and guidance. Parks and Recreation services have been adjusted to comply with the Provincial Public Health Order.
The community’s patience and understanding is appreciated as we work to promote patron, staff and community safety.
Table of Contents
- COVID-19 Safety Plans
- What to expect about Safety and Risk
- Which facilities are open during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What activities are available during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How do I participate in recreation programs during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Helpful hints to get the most out of your visits
- We can help one another lower the spread of COVID-19
WorkSafe BC COVID-19 Safety Plans:
- Gibsons & Area Community Centre & Sunshine Coast Arena
- Sechelt Aquatic Centre and Pender Harbour Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Gibsons & District Aquatic Facility
Recreation Facilities are open but the “new normal” is different than before the COVID-19 pandemic. Please expect changes to what you may be used to and familiarize yourself with the changes before visiting us.
Assumption of Risk
Be aware that there is a risk of contracting COVID-19 despite our efforts. Please read the Assumption of Risk document . This document explains that although the SCRD has introduced controls to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in the recreation facilities, there is still a risk of contracting COVID-19. If you have underlying health conditions, you may want to consider carefully if you are willing to take this risk.
Expect the following controls to reduce risk of COVID-19 when you visit recreation facilities:
Pre-register before visiting the recreation facility
Patrons must pre-register for ALL programs, including programs that used to be drop-in before the COVID-19 pandemic. This allows us to make sure that we can all meet the 2 metre physical distancing requirement. Please arrive on time and leave promptly when your activity ends.
Dropping into the facility without registration is not permitted. You can pre-register up to one hour before the start time of the activity.
Stay home if you are sick!
Before visiting recreation facilities or attending programs, participants and staff are asked to do a self-check and stay home if experiencing any symptoms. If you are sick, contact Health Link BC at 811. Any participants displaying symptoms will be kindly asked to leave for the collective safety of everyone.
Physically Distance - Do your part, stay 2 metres apart!
Physical distancing (staying 2 metres apart) is critical to preventing the spread of COVID-19. Maximum class sizes and room capacities have been adjusted to ensure that physical distancing can be maintained.
Traffic through the recreation facilities will be carefully controlled to help keep distance between people. Please watch for markers on floors and signs indicating how to move through the facilities.
Physical distancing in Arenas:
Patrons must maintain 2 meters physical distancing while in the arena common areas including staging areas, entrances, hallways, walkways, washrooms and dressing rooms and maintain 2 meters physical distancing while on the ice surface.
Masks are required in recreation facilities
Masks are now required for everyone in all public indoor settings and workplaces. People who cannot put on or remove a mask on their own, or have extenuating health circumstances, are exempt. Masks for children under the age of 2 is not recommended. Masks for children 2 to 11 is recommended, not mandatory.
• Employers are expected to inform customers and employees of the mandatory mask policy
• A customer can be refused entry or service if they do not wear a mask
Masks in Gyms & Fitness Centers:
For gyms and fitness centers, masks must be worn in all common areas. Patrons undertaking more intense workouts may be unable to wear a mask during these periods. The mask should be replaced as soon as the patron has recovered a normal rate of breathing. Additional guidance is going to be released shortly that will further speak to masking requirements and physical distancing for more intense activities.
Masks in Pools:
It is mandatory that patrons wear masks anywhere in the facility except while swimming or moving from one pool to another (assuming that physical distancing can be maintained).
Masks in Arenas:
Masks must be worn in all common areas including staging areas, entrances, hallways, walkways, washrooms and dressing rooms. While patrons are on the ice surface masks are recommended but not mandatory. The mask should be replaced as soon as the patron leaves the ice surface.
Hand Hygiene & Enhanced Cleaning
Hand disinfectant will be provided at all programs and indoor spaces. Please use it frequently. Disinfecting spray or wipes will be available in indoor spaces. Please use before and after using any equipment. Avoid touching your face wherever possible.
We have increased the frequency of cleaning in the recreation facilities. High touch areas will be cleaned frequently and extra time is scheduled between activities for additional cleaning.
Currently the following activities are available for pre-registration:
- weight room sessions - 45 minute sessions
- fitness classes
- swim sessions - 45 minute sessions
- aquatic fitness classes - will start week of Feb 15
- aquatic leadership courses
- skating - 45 minute sessions (skate and helmet rentals available)
- MYPASS and other passes are available for sale
Step 1: Pre-register before you come to the recreation facility
Patrons must pre-register for ALL programs, including programs that used to be drop-in before the COVID-19 pandemic. Dropping into the facility without registration is not permitted.
Registration for each activity is available up to one hour before the start time.
Step 2: Arriving to the recreation facility
Masks are required.
Please arrive no more than 10 minutes before the start of your activity and no more than 5 minutes after the start time. When your activity ends, please leave promptly. This will help us minimize contact between people which can help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Can't make it to your pre-registered activity?
Please let us know if you are unable to attend your activity by calling us 604-885-6801 or email us. This helps us make your spot available to someone else.
Learn about the Cancellation and Refund Policy.
The facilities are open but things are different than the way they were before the COVID-19 Pandemic. Once you have pre-registered for an activity, read this before you come:
- Change room access will be limited. Plan to shower and change at home after your program ends if possible.
- Bring your own water bottle full from home. Water fountains will not be available.
- Avoid bringing valuables and extra items with you. Lost and found will be limited to phones, wallets and keys. Valuables will be sent to the RCMP.
- The number of washrooms available for patrons in the facility may be reduced.
- Spectators are not permitted at indoor classes at this time.
- Patrons are welcome to wear a mask. Mask wearing is recommended where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Transit products and Dog Licenses will not be available for sale at recreation facilities at this time. Please visit www.scrd.ca or call 604-885-6800 for locations where you can purchase these items.
You can count on us to:
- Clean high touch areas frequently.
- Provide hand disinfectant at all programs and throughout each facility.
- Nightly fitness centre deep clean.
- Midday closure at each facility for a thorough deep clean of washrooms and changing areas.
- Disinfecting spray or wipes will be available in indoor spaces.
- Extra time is scheduled between activities for cleaning.
- Control the number of people in the building to maintain enough space for physical distancing.
We need you to:
- Pre-register before you arrive: online or by phone 604-885-6801.
- In person registrations are NOT available at the front desk at this time.
- Check in at the front desk for your program: up to 10 minutes before the start time of your program and no later than 5 minutes after the start of the program.
- Read the Assumption of Risk document before participating.
- Please observe traffic flow markers in the facility.
- Do your part and keep 2 metres apart.
- Please wash your hands frequently while in the facility. Hand disinfectant is provided for all programs.
- Disinfect equipment before and after use.
- Enjoy your program!
- Leave promptly after your program has finished. This will help us minimize contact between people which can help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Get the latest recreation updates sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our recreation e-newsletter.