Islands Clean Up:
Residential Garbage & Recycling service
The SCRD provides an annual residential garbage and recycling collection service for island residents on:
- Gambier Island
- Keats Island and nearby islands (e.g. Pasley, Popham, Ragged, Hermit)
- Anvil Island
- Trail Islands
- Thormanby Island
- Nelson Island
This service includes both ‘on-land’ events for Keats Island, Gambier Island and Thormanby Islands as well as ‘Flag-Stop’ dock-to-dock service for water access-only residents on Gambier, Anvil, Keats, Nelson and Trail Islands.
This service is typically held in the summer months each year. Service dates may vary from year to year due to contractor schedule and tides.
Materials collected each year are:
- Household and durable garbage
- Household recyclables
- Scrap metal
- Rotating ‘special recyclable items’ (e.g. in 2019 electronics, 2018 Propane Tanks)
2019 Service information
The 2019 Islands Clean Up service details and flag stop registration information is posted below.
- Residents are responsible for loading materials into the bins provided, or onto the barge.
- Unattended materials will not be picked up.
- Garbage, if bagged, must be in clear plastic bags.
- Please check what items are accepted and not accepted in the Islands Clean Up Package
- Click here for flag stop registration details.
2019 ISLANDS CLEAN UP PACKAGE
- Download the 2019 Package which includes schedule, overview of accepted materials for disposal and recycling and a "How to Prepare Guide".
- Items Not Accepted - FAQ Guide: explains why certain materials are not accepted in the service and what to do with these items.
- Notice Re: Special Items Program
- 2018 - 2022 Accepted Special Items Schedule: a schedule for recyclable special items that are accepted on a rotating basis as part of Islands Clean Up. This document also lists previous special items accepted from 2012 - 2017.
- Registration is required for flag stops: 604-885-6806 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please provide detailed location and any hazards to access.
- Flag stops must be registered no later than one week prior to the clean up event.
- The barge may arrive earlier or later than anticipated due to weather and tides.
- Residents must be at dock to load materials onto barge. Unattended loads will be left.
- Must display a flag or something bright that is visible from a long distance and in poor weather. Ensure that it is visible on the day of the event. E.g. yellow or red PFD.
- Must move any boats out of the way for barge access.
GENERAL SERVICE INFORMATION
- Mercury Transport Inc. is providing the barge services for the Islands Clean Up for 2017-2019.
- Each year's schedule is primarily prepared based on tides.
- For any scheduled event, dates may change due to poor weather.
Please contact us at 604-885-6806 or email@example.com