Islands Clean Up:
Residential Garbage & Recycling service
The SCRD provides an annual residential garbage and recycling collection service for island residents on:
- Gambier Island
- Keats Island and nearby islands (e.g. Pasley, Popham, Ragged, Hermit)
- Anvil Island
- Trail Islands
- Thormanby Island
- Nelson Island
This service includes both ‘on-land’ events for Keats Island, Gambier Island and Thormanby Islands as well as ‘Flag Stop’ dock-to-dock service for water access-only residents on Gambier, Anvil, Keats, Nelson and Trail Islands.
This service is typically held in the summer months each year. Service dates vary from year to year due to tides and contractor schedule.
Materials collected each year are:
- Household garbage
- Scrap metal
- Rotating ‘special items’ for 2020 we are collecting fridges, freezers and mattresses. Note: propane fridges require pre-registration (on-land and flag stop.) Instructions on how to prepare are found below.
- Registration is required for flag stops: 604-885-6806 or email@example.com
- Please provide detailed location, GPS coordinates and any hazards to access.
- Flag stops must be registered no later than one week prior to the clean up event.
- The barge may arrive earlier or later than anticipated due to weather and tides.
- Residents must be at the dock. Unattended loads will be left.
- Must display a flag or something bright that is visible from a long distance and in poor weather. Ensure that it is visible on the day of the event. E.g. yellow or red PFD.
- Must move any boats out of the way for barge access.
- The how to prepare for flag stops package can be found linked above or here.
GENERAL SERVICE INFORMATION
- Mercury Transport Inc. is providing the barge services for the Islands Clean Up for 2020-2022.
- Each year's schedule is primarily prepared based on tides.
- For any scheduled event, dates may change due to poor weather.
Please contact us at 604-885-6806 or firstname.lastname@example.org