The Sunshine Coast Regional District’s Comprehensive Regional Water Plan identifies the need to investigate supplementing the Chapman Creek water supply with groundwater. In 2016, the SCRD initiated a groundwater investigation project to be completed in four phases.
Here is a short video introducing groundwater on the Sunshine Coast.
Here is a two page backgrounder that contains general information about this project.
- Church Road Well Field is waiting for a water licence from the Province. Final design and complete and construction could be completed by summer 2022 if a licence is obtained. Visit the project's page for more information.
- Round 2 test wells. Test wells were drilled at Maryanne West Park, on Harman Road in Upper Roberts Creek, at the Langdale pump station, and at Gray Creek. Water was found at Maryanne West Park, Langdale, and Gray Creek. 2021 Budget for next steps will be decided in February and March by the Board. Proposals include developing a monitoring program for Maryanne West Park area as updated mapping for aquifer 560 have it spanning from Elphinstone to Soames, including the Church Road Well Field and the Town of Gibsons Well Field. A proposal to develop a well field at Langdale Well and connecting the Langdale Water System to the Chapman Water System is being considered. Finally, a proposal to treat surface water from Gray Creek and using an existing water licence on the creek is also being considered instead of developing groundwater in that area since groundwater test wells found smaller flows than what can be accessed with the existing surface water licence.
REports and presentations
Round 2 - Test Drilling at Gray Creek area, Maryanne West Park, Harman Road area, and Langdale.
- January 20, 2021 - Report - Results Groundwater Investigation Phase 2 - Round 2 and Groundwater Investigation Phase 3 - Gray Creek Results. pp 1-17
- January 20, 2021 - Presentation and Board meeting. from 8min 30sec to 1hr 26min
Phase 3 - Further Investigation and Preliminary Engineering Design
- December 12, 2019 - Phase 3 Groundwater Investigation Report
- November 21, 2019 Staff Report - Groundwater Project Update. This report supports continued exploration of the Gray Creek Site. This report also represents the end to exploration of the Dusty Road and Mahan Road sites.
Phase 2 - Test Well Drilling to Investigate Actual Potential
- January 24, 2019 Report - Groundwater Investigation Phase 2 Results. The purpose of this report is to present the outcome of the Groundwater Investigation Phase 2. Audio of Board meeting.
- January 2019
- April 19, 2018 Staff Report - Phase 2 Test Drilling of the Groundwater Investigation. This report provides recommendations for proceeding with Phase 2 test drilling for groundwater.
- March 15, 2018 Staff Report - Regional Groundwater Task Force - Next Steps. This report provides recommendations for proceeding with the next steps to supplement the Chapman Creek water supply.
- March 8, 2018 Staff Report - Regional Groundwater Task Force - Consultation Report. This report documents the outcomes of the consultation process between local governments regarding the potential management of groundwater sources within the context of the region's water supply concerns.
Phase 1 - Desktop Study to Identify Best Sites
- October 19, 2017 Staff Report - Groundwater Investigation to Supplement Chapman Creek Water Supply
- Groundwater Investigation Study presentation by Waterline Resources Inc. presented to the October 18, 2017 Infrastructure Services Committee.
- Full report on Groundwater Investigation to Supplement Chapman Creek Water Supply by Waterline Resources Inc. dated October 10, 2017.