Sitemap Close
My SCRD Online

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am on a well, and I think that there may be contaminants in my water. What do I do?

A: The SCRD does not manage private wells. Residents can have their well water tested by Vancouver Coastal Health.

Q: How do I apply for a water connection and how much it costs?

A: To apply for a water connection you must come to the Infrastructure Services Department in the SCRD Administration building and we will assist you in making the application. Water connections are installed at the property line. If the connection is not already installed or it has not been paid for, there will be a minimum fee of $1,200 for the connection. The connection fee is payable at the time of the application. Please see Water – New Connections for more information on the process and the applicable fees.

Q: I have applied for a water connection, when does billing commence?

A: Once a water application has been received by the SCRD, user rates will commence the first of the month following the date of installation of the water service connection. The amount billed will be pro-rated. Please see “Utility Rates” for current water user rates.

Q: Who do I contact if I have a water leak?

A: If the water leak is on the outside of your property line or is coming out of the water connection, please contact us at 604-885-6806. If the leak is within the property lines it is the homeowner’s responsibility to repair the leak as the SCRD does not work on private property.

Q: How can I find the main water shut off?

A: If you need to have your main water shut off located please call us at 604-885-6806. We will gather your property information and look at our records to find the location. If you are unable to find the shut off based our measurements or we were unable to provide you with the measurements, we will have our works crew stop by to locate it for you. You do not need to be home for this as we will mark the location with paint.

Q: Is there a charge to locate my water shut off at the property line?

A: There is no charge for this service. This is the property of the SCRD and it is important for us to have instant access to any shut off.

Q: Is there a charge to shut off the water at the main connection?

A: There is a $50 shut off fee that will be applied to your utility account at the time the shut off is performed. There is no charge for us to turn it back on.

Q: How can I find the waterline on my property?

A: The SCRD does not do any work on private property. We can provide information regarding the water line up to the property line but have no record of the waterline on your property. Please contact a plumber for assistance.

Q: Why does my water appear milky or look like alka seltzer?

A: This is due to trapped air and is sometimes cause by a water shut down or use of a fire hydrant in the area.

Still have questions? Contact us at 604-885-6806 or email to