APPEARING BEFORE THE BOARD
The Board of Directors of the Sunshine Coast Regional District values public input. There are many instances in which people wish to come before the Board as a delegation to address issues they feel are of importance to the community.
Because many issues can be resolved at the staff level, it is recommended that citizens discuss their concerns with Regional District staff prior to appearing before the Board. Staff can provide you with valuable background information on the issue in question, and/or recommend appropriate next steps that can remove the need to go to the Board, or help set the stage for a meaningful and constructive interaction with the Board. Staff will also ensure that the issue is one that is within the jurisdiction of the Regional District. For more information, please contact the Legislative Services Division at (604) 885-6813.
People wishing to appear before the Board as a delegation are required to:
- Notify the Corporate Officer two weeks prior to the Board or Committee meeting in writing utilizing the Delegation Request Form provided or other form of written communication (including email) addressed to:
Angie Legault, Corporate Officer
Sunshine Coast Regional District
1975 Field Road
Sechelt, BC V0N 3A1
- The Corporate Officer will review the request and direct the delegation to the appropriate meeting.
- If approved as a delegation, please forward any supporting documentation for publication in the Agenda no later than the Monday of the week prior (10 days) to the Board or Committee meeting at which you will be appearing.
- Delegations are limited to a maximum of ten minutes.
- Delegations are not to appear for the sole purpose of promoting an individual business.
- Delegations who have previously appeared before the Board on a subject matter are to provide new information only in any subsequent presentation relating to the matter.
- Organizations wishing to address the Board are limited to a maximum of ten minutes regardless of the number of representatives of the group wishing to speak.
- Delegations will be contacted to confirm the scheduled date and time of the delegation.
Note: Only two delegations are allowed per meeting.
The following information is provided for your assistance when preparing to address board members at a Board or Committee meeting.
Formalities During Board Meetings
- The Chair will invite delegations to the speakers table to speak on their issues.
- Comments at Board meetings should be directed to the Chair or member of the Board presiding at the meeting.
- Introduce yourself - please clearly state your name and address before making your comments.
- Be sure to speak into the microphone so your input can be clearly heard. Note that Board meetings are also recorded.
- The Chair may be referred to as "Madam Chair" or “Mr. Chairman”, other Board members as "Director".
- The Chair and Directors may ask questions of the delegation, as well as Regional District staff.
- Delegations are limited to 10 minutes.
- Be aware that comments on some issues may be restricted by legal requirements or policy.
- Upon closure of the discussion, the Board may make a decision or refer the item to the appropriate department for further input or advice.
If you have any questions concerning the delegation process contact the Corporate Officer.
Public Participation at Meetings
In addition, an opportunity will be provided at the end of each Regular Board and Standing Committee meeting for members of the public to ask questions, or comment on matters contained on the agenda. The maximum time allotted per speaker is two minutes with the total session not exceeding 10 minutes.