Sitemap Close
My SCRD Online

Other Government Agencies

In the process of issuing Building Permits, certain situations require other Government Agencies to be involved. This is determined on a case by case basis. The following are a few agencies that are required for most single family dwellings.

Questions relating to existing roads and accessibility should be directed to the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Tel: (604)740-8985, located at 3rd Floor, Teredo Square.

Electrical and gas permits may be obtained from Technical Safety BC. Tel: 1 866 566 7233 or

Questions relating to septic/sewage disposal should be directed to a certified installer see the website for a list of installers. The Health Unit (604) 885-5164 generates paperwork required by the Building Department prior to the completion of the permit.

It is the responsibility of the permit applicant to obtain any easements, covenants or building schemes registered against the property for submission to the Building Department. Questions relating to property registration should be directed to the Land Titles Office, New Westminster, BC Tel: (604) 660-2595. Alternatively, copies of these documents can be obtained fromWest Coast Fax at 1-800 553-1936 for a fee.

Bc Housing (formerly Homeowner Protection)
Before a building permit for a dwelling unit can be issued, an owner/builder declaration form or a licensed builder form must be submitted to the Building Department. For information on which form must be submitted, call the BC Housing, Toll Free 1-800-407-7757, or (604) 646-7050, or visit the website at

Property development on many of the islands within the Regional District boundaries is regulated by Islands Trust. Information on zoning and land use can be obtained from the Islands Trust. Building construction and permits on these islands is still regulated by the Regional District. Please visit their website for additional information