Waste Reduction Initiatives Program
The Waste Reduction Initiatives Program (WRIP) is in place to provide funding to community groups, non-profit societies, registered charitable organizations and school groups for projects that contribute to waste reduction or that divert materials from the landfill.
Projects must be based in the SCRD's boundaries, serve one or more communities on the Sunshine Coast and include a plan for how the applicant will measure, quantify and report out on the amount of waste the project is expected to reduce and/or divert waste from the landfill.
Project categories include:
- Community reuse and repair
- Construction & demolition waste reduction, reuse and recycling
- Food waste reduction
- Green waste reduction
- Organizational recycling and waste reduction programs
Have questions about the program? Contact 604.885.6806 or email email@example.com
UPDATE: The 2017 WRIP call for applications closed on Friday, October 20.
Applications are now being reviewed.
In 2017, a total of $5000 is available to help give community organizations the ability to develop and implement their own ideas that support waste reduction and diversion on the Sunshine Coast.
Successful applicants will be notified in November 2017 and must attend a kick-off meeting in December 2017 to review WRIP program and funding requirements such as reporting.
In 2016, three organizations received funding for projects as part of the Waste Reduction Initiatives Program (WRIP).
- Coast Canning Cooperative - Increase organization's ability to store and preserve gleaned local fruit to reduce food waste
- Gibsons Curling Club - Launch a new paper and container recycling program for the club.
- Gibsons Elementary School - Implement a new school-wide composting and recycling program.
In 2015, five organizations received funding for projects as part of the Waste Reduction Initiatives Program (WRIP).
- Coast Canning Cooperative - Establish a community canning kitchen
- One Straw Society - Annual fruit tree harvesting program
- Roberts Creek Community Association - Improvement to existing waste separation bins at the Roberts Creek Library and Hall
- Sargent Bay Society - Green Cone food scrap digestor pilot program
- Transition Sunshine Coast Canada - Education and awareness raising event to address green waste dumping in Langdale