Islands Clean Up
The SCRD provides an annual clean up service for island residents on:
- Gambier Island
- Keats Island and nearby islands (e.g. Pasley, Popham, Ragged, Hermit)
- Anvil Island
- Trail Islands
- Thormanby Island
This service includes both ‘on-land’ events for Keats Island, Gambier Island and Thormanby Islands as well as ‘Flag-Stop’ dock-to-dock service for water access-only residents on Gambier, Anvil, Keats and Trail Islands.
This service is typically held in the summer months each year. Service dates may vary from year to year due to contractor schedule and tides.
Materials collected each year are:
- Household and durable garbage
- Household recyclables
- Scrap metal
- Rotating ‘special recyclable items’ (e.g. in 2016 Electronic Waste, in 2015 Paint and Propane Tanks)
The 2017 Islands Clean Up service is now complete.
Please monitor this web page for 2018 event details, to be released by April 2018.
General Service Information
- Mercury Transport Inc. is providing the barge services for the Islands Clean Up for 2017-2019.
- Each year's schedule is primarily prepared based on tides.
- For any scheduled event, dates may change due to poor weather.
On-land and Flag Stop Event Information
- Check out this "How to Prepare" guide for important information
- Residents are responsible for loading materials into the containers provided or onto the barge.
- Pre-sort household recycleables into categories listed on the accepted materials list.
- Unattended materials will not be picked up.
- Garbage, if bagged, must be in clear bags.
Flag Stop Information & Registration
- Must be registered no later than one week prior to the clean up event.
- The barge may arrive earlier or later than anticipated due to weather and tides.
- Residents must be at dock to load materials onto barge. Unattended loads will be left.
- Must display a flag or something bright that is visible from a long distance and in poor weather. Ensure that it is visible on the day of the event. E.g. yellow or red PFD.
- Must move any boats out of the way for barge access.
Click on the links below to see what materials were accepted in 2017.
- "How to Prepare" Guide
- Accepted Materials Overview
- Household Recyclables
- Special Item - Paint Recycling
- Special Item - Household Batteries and Cell Phones
Items Not Accepted - Frequently Asked Questions
Download this FAQ guide which explains why certain materials are not accepted in the Islands Clean Up service and what to do with these items.