Technology permeates the modern workplace, and the Information Technology (IT) Division at the SCRD ensures that staff have the necessary tools to provide the best possible service to the public.
IT at the SCRD manages a fibre and wireless network that securely unifies the many business locations of the SCRD - from Gibsons to Pender Harbour. We research, procure, install and maintain servers, desktop computers, laptops, printers, mobile devices, phones and a broad range of software. We make extensive use of hardware virtualization to minimize our environmental footprint and maximize the use of resources, and are continually looking for ways to improve the effectiveness of our service delivery.
Keeping pace with rapid advances in technology often requires the replacement, upgrading or expansion of hardware and software; however, just as important is ensuring that each change provides geniune value to the organization and to our citizens.
Corporate Software Refresh
The SCRD is undertaking a refresh of corporate software systems as follows:
- Our website was updated to be mobile friendly early in 2015;
- An Electronic Document and Records Management System (EDRMS) was implemented in 2015 to assist with managing our records - both physical and electronic;
- A Land Management software system was implemented in 2016 inclusive of the mySCRD portal for online payment ;
- Upgrade of Landfill Software in 2016 from a non-supported version;
- Replacement of the current Financial system currently in progress (existing software installed in 1999);
Asset Management software (grant funding) also underway.
These updates will provide the SCRD with additional data and more up-to-date information as well as improved reporting capabilities. They will introduce efficiences by automating manual processes, increasing transparency, and improve the way we do business.